Why does the
gd-system-plugin Impacts WordPress Auto Updates for Version 6.3.1 on GoDaddy?
1. Managed WordPress Hosting Features
GoDaddy’s managed WordPress hosting is designed to relieve users of some administrative tasks, including core updates. The
gd-system-plugin plays a role in this by controlling and managing updates on GoDaddy’s terms, ensuring that they are tested and rolled out in a manner that reduces the chances of site breakage.
2. Staging and Production Environment
gd-system-plugin ensures that updates (especially major ones) don’t automatically get applied to live websites without going through a testing phase in a staging environment. This reduces the potential of a live site encountering errors due to a WordPress core update.
3. Customized Experience
gd-system-plugin also allows GoDaddy to offer a customized WordPress experience, including special dashboard widgets, notifications, or even performance enhancements tailored to their hosting environment.
4. Update Rollouts
Even if WordPress releases an update, GoDaddy might choose to review it first. This ensures compatibility with their hosting environment. After thorough testing, GoDaddy then rolls out the update in batches to their users. The
gd-system-plugin can help manage this phased rollout.
5. Potential Conflicts
On the downside, this control over updates can occasionally lead to conflicts, especially if a user tries to force an update or if there’s a miscommunication between the
gd-system-plugin and the WordPress core.
Recommendations for GoDaddy Users:
- Patience: Wait for GoDaddy to roll out the update. This might take some time after WordPress officially releases an update, but it’s often for compatibility and stability reasons.
- Manual Updates: If you’re comfortable with it and understand the risks, you can bypass the
gd-system-pluginand manually update WordPress. Always ensure you back up your site before doing this. Read here how to disable the gd-system-plugin and force updating your WordPress site.
- Seek Support: If you’re unsure or encounter issues, contact GoDaddy’s support. They can provide guidance, especially if there are known issues or delays with an update.
- External Management: Consider using external management tools or services if you want more control over updates, but weigh the pros and cons related to stability, compatibility, and ease of management.
Conclusion: While GoDaddy’s
gd-system-plugin aims to simplify and stabilize the WordPress experience for users on their platform, it does mean that auto-updates won’t always align with the official releases from the WordPress team. Users should be aware of this and make informed decisions based on their needs and comfort level.